March for Life pro-life rally held in Washington D.C.Posted: Updated:
By KEVIN FREKING
WASHINGTON (AP) - President Donald Trump sought to assure opponents of abortion rights on Friday that he stands with them and would veto any legislation from a Democratic-controlled House that "weakens the protection of human life."
Trump spoke via video to participants at this year's March for Life on the National Mall. Thousands of people across the country braved the cold to attend the event.
"As president, I will always defend the first right in our Declaration of Independence, the right to life," Trump said.
Lawmakers on both sides of the political aisle highlighted legislative efforts on the abortion issue ahead of Friday's march.
Some Democratic lawmakers in the House held a news conference last week to note their support for ending a ban of Medicaid funding for abortion services known as the Hyde Act. The Republican-led Senate failed to advance a measure that would permanently prohibit taxpayer funding for abortion. Trump said he supported that effort.
Trump and Vice President Mike Pence, who attended the event, listed actions the administration has taken over the past two years to deter abortions.
Trump noted that the administration has ensured foreign aid doesn't flow to organizations that promote abortion. Pence credited Trump with nominating conservative judges to the federal bench. Trump also said that he had just sent a letter to members of Congress reiterating his veto threat on legislation weakening abortion restrictions.
"And we have the support to uphold those vetoes," Trump said.
Isabel Chism, 18, from the Detroit area, was among the participants. She said young women need to make their voices heard no matter their political leaning and she's concerned that women with her anti-abortion perspective are often ignored.
"A majority of our group is women, and we believe in women's equality, but we also believe in the equality of unborn women," Chism said.
The first march took place on the west steps of the Capitol in January 1974, the year after the Supreme Court decided Roe v. Wade.
Associated Press writer Padmananda Rama contributed to this report.
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- A 44-year-old Paterson man is facing charges for allegedly videotaping two women inside of a bathroom at the Clifton Barnes & Noble bookstore.
- A case of the mumps has been reported at Grice Middle School in Hamilton Township, according to a letter sent to parents by the school district.
- A winning Powerball New Jersey lottery ticket worth $50,000 was sold at the ShopRite in Lanoka Harbor.
- It may be a bad flu season for kids, but early signs suggest the flu vaccine is working OK.It may be a bad flu season for kids, but early signs suggest the flu vaccine is working OK.
- Democratic presidential candidate Mike Bloomberg says he's willing to release at least three women from nondisclosure agreements
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Send us photos of all of the pets you love!Send us photos of all of the pets you love!
- Baseball season is right around the corner, and the Mets have reported to their spring training facility. Take a look at some of the sights from Port St. Lucie, Florida.Baseball season is right around the corner, and the Mets have reported to their spring training facility. Take a look at some of the sights from Port St. Lucie, Florida.
- The Yankees have a World Series title on their mind in 2020, but it all begins with spring training. Take a look at some of the sights from Tampa, Florida.The Yankees have a World Series title on their mind in 2020, but it all begins with spring training. Take a look at some of the sights from Tampa, Florida.
- The NASCAR Daytona 500 auto race took place at Daytona International Speedway Feb. 17, in Daytona Beach, Fla.The NASCAR Daytona 500 auto race took place at Daytona International Speedway Feb. 17, in Daytona Beach, Fla.
- Did you just get engaged? News 12 wants to celebrate with you!Did you just get engaged? News 12 wants to celebrate with you!