5 victims of sexual abuse reach settlements with Archdiocese of Newark

Posted: Updated:
NEWARK -

Five people who say they were sexually abused by a New Jersey priest have reached settlements with the Archdiocese of Newark.

Danielle Polemeni says that Father Mitch Walters sexually abused her between the ages of 12 and 14. Polemeni was a student at Saint Cassian’s School in Montclair, where Walters was a parish priest.

Four men have also made allegations against Walters. The five announced Monday that they settled for $80,000 each. They are accusing the archdiocese of not doing enough to protect them.

“Why weren’t they watching Father Mitch Walters,” asks attorney Mitch Garabedian.

RELATED: Catholic Church to release names of NJ priest accused of abuse 
RELATED: Attorney general: Clergy abuse hotline ‘ringing off the hook’ 

Garabedian says that the archdiocese is blaming the victims with its claiming contributory negligence in court papers.

"That is one of the most disgusting comments I have heard. A child cannot be complicit in his or her own abuse,” Garabedian says.

A spokesperson for the Archdiocese of Newark says in a statement, "The legal language filed on behalf of the Archdiocese is a standard response to these types of cases. It is unfortunate and extremely disingenuous for the plaintiff counsel to call out such language and mischaracterize it so as to sensationalize the case for heightened media attention.”

The statement continued, “The Archdiocese of Newark is working diligently towards the healing and reconciliation of survivors and seeks to resolve all claims, whether through mediation or otherwise. We are hopeful that the settlement of these five claims will begin the healing process for the victims-survivors, and we continue to work toward the resolutions of similar matters.”

The New Jersey Office of the Attorney General announced last year an investigation into claims of sexual abuse within the New Jersey Catholic dioceses.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."