Coastal Flood STATEMENT in effect for:
Movin’ on out: NJ ranks No. 1 in most moved-from statesPosted: Updated:
A new study from the United Van Lines moving company found that New Jersey ranks No. 1 in the most moved-from states for 2018.
The study found that nearly 67 percent of moves in New Jersey were out of state.
The United Van Lines study did not say specifically why more New Jerseyans were moving out of the state.
But some New Jerseyans who spoke with News 12 New Jersey say that the state is too expensive to live in.
“I think the main reason would be the property taxes. If you look at the surrounding states like Delaware or Pennsylvania, they’re significantly less than New Jersey,” says Raj Patel of Turnersville.
"The pensions and the benefits for our public health sector are really what's dragging us down,” says Steven Pink of Brick.
But not all New Jerseyans are ready to give up on the Garden State.
“What I love about New Jersey is the people in my community,” says Estella Feliz of Montgomery.
“I moved out to Stroudsburg in Pennsylvania, but as soon as I got my green card, I moved back to New Jersey,” says Kiran Sharma of Piscataway. “For me, New Jersey is like a place of opportunities.”
The United Van Lines study found that most Americans were moving around the country due to new job opportunities, moving closer to family and lifestyle changes.
Vermont saw the highest percentage of inbound moves in 2018. The study also found that many Americans were moving west.
More information about the study can be found at the United Van Lines website.
- A 10-year-old boy is fighting for his life after he was shot at a high school football game in Atlantic County.
- Chick-fil-A is opening four new locations around New Jersey, specifically Ramsey, Edison, Barrington and Wayne.
- Move over Hollywood -- Paterson is making a name for itself in the world of film and television, as at least three projects are currently filming in the city.
- Police say at least nine people were shot at a party in Fresno in what appears to be a “mass casualty shooting,” local media report.
- Two men and a woman were fatally shot Monday morning outside a Walmart store in southwestern Oklahoma, and the shooter is among the dead, authorities said.Two men and a woman were fatally shot Monday morning outside a Walmart store in southwestern Oklahoma, and the shooter is among the dead, authorities said.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Photos from the public congressional hearings as part of the impeachment inquiry into President Donald Trump and his administration's dealings with Ukraine.
- Here's the 2019 concert lineup for The Borgata in Atlantic City.Here's the 2019 concert lineup for The Borgata in Atlantic City.
- If you are looking to start your holiday shopping before the turkey is out of the oven, here are stores that will be opened for Thanksgiving.
- Shoppers can start their holiday shopping on Black Friday at these retailers.Shoppers can start their holiday shopping on Black Friday at these retailers.
- Looking for a place to listen to some music or see a local play? Here is a list of concert venues in the Tri-state area.