Prosecutor: Suspect in deadly gas station shooting remains at largePosted: Updated:
The person suspected in the deadly shooting of an Edison gas station clerk remains on the loose, according to the Middlesex County Prosecutor’s office.
The prosecutor says that earlier reports that someone was taken into custody for the killing are not accurate.
“Earlier today the Perth Amboy Public Information Officer put out an unauthorized statement without consulting with the Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office or the Edison Police Department regarding an arrest in the murder investigation,” a spokesperson for the prosecutor said in a statement. “While someone was being questioned regarding the fatal shooting at the Speedway Gas Station in Edison, he has been released from custody.”
The robbery happened around 4 a.m. Thursday at the Speedway Gas Station on Amboy Avenue. Officials say that the masked suspect walked into the gas station shop, pointed a silver handgun at the clerk and demanded money.
The suspect took a drawer full of money and was on the way out when he fired one shot, killing 38-year-old Fords resident John Bertram. Another employee inside the shop was not hurt.
The suspect ran away from the area after the shooting, prompting a massive manhunt for him. He is described as a tall, skinny man with a slight build. The suspect’s race was unclear. He was wearing what appeared to be a maroon-colored hoodie, light jeans and a black mask and black gloves.
Anyone with information is asked to call Detective Loren Long of the Edison Police Department at 732-248-7531, or Detective David Abromaitis of the Middlesex County Prosecutor's Office at 732-745-4436.
- A Wayne man charged two weeks ago for allegedly breaking into cars is now accused of trying to break into a home while wearing only underwear and a single sock.
- A shooting in Camden park left two people dead and one injured, according to authorities.A shooting in Camden park left two people dead and one injured, according to authorities.
- A police officer in Ridgewood was caught in an undercover sting involving the dating app Tinder.A police officer in Ridgewood was caught in an undercover sting involving the dating app Tinder.
- A Florida man is accused of leaving threatening rants about gun control, illegal immigration, homosexuals, black people and Muslims for three Democratic members of Congress, including Sen. Cory Booker.A Florida man is accused of leaving threatening rants about gun control, illegal immigration, homosexuals, black people and Muslims for three Democratic members of Congress, including Sen. Cory Booker.
- Law enforcement officials say that they used an online dating site to help capture a man accused of sexually assaulting a Philadelphia woman.Law enforcement officials say that they used an online dating site to help capture a man accused of sexually assaulting a Philadelphia woman.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- All dressed up for Easter? Or do you have a great Easter bunny photo you want to share? News 12 wants to see them all.
- The New York International Auto Show is being held at the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center in New York City.
A guide to the national park sites and trails on Long Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, New York City and the Hudson Valley.
- The Rockland-Bergen Music Festival has announced its 2019 lineup.The Rockland-Bergen Music Festival has announced its 2019 lineup.
The Stone Pony Summer Stage Acts for 2019
The Stone Pony Summer Stage Acts for 2019
Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- A crash on Route 22 involving a BMW and a tractor-trailer has left one person dead in Hillside.A crash on Route 22 involving a BMW and a tractor-trailer has left one person dead in Hillside.
- Authorities say they have found an unlikely culprit for a power outage last week that struck a hotel in Mahwah -- a snake.
- Sri Lanka's president gave the military sweeping police powers starting Tuesday in the wake of the Easter bombings that killed nearly 300 people.
- Firefighters in three states are honoring a U.S. Marine and firefighter who was killed by a roadside bomb in Afghanistan.