Americans expected to consume over 4,000 calories on ThanksgivingPosted: Updated:
Maybe you should hold off on that second helping of mashed potatoes?
The average American is expected to consume 3,000 to 4,500 calories this Thanksgiving, according to the Calorie Control Council.
The council broke down some of the most popular Thanksgiving dishes by calories:
- Four 4-ounce slices of roasted turkey without skin – 190 calories
- One square of cornbread – 152 calories
- 1 cup of traditional stuffing – 355 calories
- 1 cup of mashed potatoes – 230 calories
- Slice of pumpkin or pecan pie – 350 – 450 calories.
The CCC says that this doesn’t even factor in extras like butter, whipped cream, other toppings, alcohol or extra servings.
RELATED: Preview balloons in the 2018 Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
RELATED: Winds threaten to wreak havoc on Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
VIDEO: New Jerseyans grab last-minute groceries before Thanksgiving dinner
The council recommends that Thanksgiving eaters stay active throughout the day to burn off some calories. People should also have a nutritious snack prior to Thanksgiving dinner to prevent them from over-indulging.
Family members who are cooking Thanksgiving dinner may also use healthier substitutes, like skim milk instead of whole milk or apple sauce in place of oil.
The CCC also recommends that socialization happen away from food.
The council says that for leftovers, pair the turkey with vegetables instead of breads and gravy, or include lower-calorie foods with some of the heavier dishes.
- Officials say they're investigating a police-involved shooting that left one dead in Monmouth County Friday night.
It's a battle for bragging rights! News 12 is looking for the schools with the most school spirit! Is it yours?
- Rep. Mikie Sherrill discusses her decision to endorse the impeachment inquiry into President Trump.Rep. Mikie Sherrill discusses her decision to endorse the impeachment inquiry into President Trump.
- Investigators are asking for the public's help to identify a woman’s body found floating in the Hudson River.
- Watch Friday Night Football - Week 7.Watch Friday Night Football - Week 7.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Heavy right and high winds swept through the tri-state area due to a large coast storm on the night of Oct. 16. Here are your photos from the storm.
- Photos on the field of the New York Yankees in the 2019 American League Division Series vs. the Minnesota Twins.
Looking to check out brewery this summer? There are many breweries across the state for beer-lovers to visit. Check out our list for breweries in your area.
News 12 New Jersey wants to announce your wedding. If you were married in the past 90 days, please submit your photos via Twitter or Instagram using #JustMarriedNJ.
Craving something savory or sweet? It doesn't really matter when it comes to food trucks, where you can have it all -- you just have to know where to find them! Here is a list of food trucks and where you could find them in New Jersey.