Bergen County swears in its first African-American sheriffPosted: Updated:
Bergen County has sworn in its first African-American sheriff.
County officials swore in Anthony Cureton Tuesday after he won a special election.
New Jersey Attorney General Gurbir Grewal administered the oath to Cureton at a ceremony on the steps of the Bergen County Justice Center in Hackensack.
Former Bergen County Sheriff Michael Saudino resigned after a recording surfaced of him making racist comments, particularly about Grewal. Saudino was heard saying that Grewal, a practicing Sikh, only got the attorney general job because of his turban.
Saudino was not directly mentioned during the ceremony Tuesday, but Grewal praised the men and women of the sheriff’s office for keeping the department together during a rocky time.
Cureton said that the demographics were not in his favor and that although there were many naysayers, he won the election.
"Two weeks ago the spirit of Bergen County burned bright and your voices silenced those who said today is impossible,” Cureton said. "I think we'll make the community better than what it is, has been and the community that I love so dearly because I've been here 50 years."
Cureton will serve a full three-year term
- A woman was found dead in the home where a man was fatally shot by police Friday.A woman was found dead in the home where a man was fatally shot by police Friday.
- It happened around 7:40 a.m. Sunday in Quad 2 at the Livingston campus in Piscataway.It happened around 7:40 a.m. Sunday in Quad 2 at the Livingston campus in Piscataway.
It's a battle for bragging rights! News 12 is looking for the schools with the most school spirit! Is it yours?
- Nearly $30,000 has been raised for a retired police officer who was injured on the Garden State Parkway.
- Police say they are looking for a man who violently robbed a cab driver at knifepoint, and left her stranded in Brick.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Heavy right and high winds swept through the tri-state area due to a large coast storm on the night of Oct. 16. Here are your photos from the storm.
- Photos on the field of the New York Yankees in the 2019 American League Division Series vs. the Minnesota Twins.
Looking to check out brewery this summer? There are many breweries across the state for beer-lovers to visit. Check out our list for breweries in your area.
News 12 New Jersey wants to announce your wedding. If you were married in the past 90 days, please submit your photos via Twitter or Instagram using #JustMarriedNJ.
Craving something savory or sweet? It doesn't really matter when it comes to food trucks, where you can have it all -- you just have to know where to find them! Here is a list of food trucks and where you could find them in New Jersey.