News

Ruptured gas line to blame for house fire in Lakewood

Posted: Updated:
LAKEWOOD -

A ruptured gas line is to blame for a Monday morning house fire in Lakewood.

Officials say that the fire started just after 8 a.m. in a home near Forest Avenue and Second Street.

Police say that contractors were working in the yard of the home when flames shot 30 feet into the air.

Contractors are supposed to check with the gas company before digging in the ground, but officials say that the gas line was unmarked and buried deep underground.

The rear portion of the home was badly burned.

Fire officials say that crews were able to quickly put out the fire. No one was hurt.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."