Synagogue attack prompts stepped up security around New JerseyPosted: Updated:
Law enforcement across the Garden State have stepped up their patrols around synagogues after the attack in Pittsburgh claimed 11 lives.
About 90 people were inside the United Synagogue of Hoboken for Sabbath services Saturday morning when Rabbi Robert Scheinberg was told Hoboken police delivered the news to him.
“My immediate reaction was horror, was thinking of all the people I know who live in Pittsburgh, who have family connections in Pittsburgh,” he told News 12.
Rabbi Scheinberg said he had to go back into services Saturday morning and tell the worshippers what had happened. Police remained outside the synagogue throughout the day. The police told the rabbi they were there to keep people safe and as a show of solidarity.
Marlboro police said they were increasing visible patrols at all Jewish houses of worship in town and asked people to be vigilant in reporting suspicious activity.
Lakewood police told News 12 that “patrol officers assigned to areas in which synagogues are located have been instructed to conduct extra checks."
In Essex County, sheriff's officers were stepping up patrols at synagogues and all houses of worship.
- A man from Freehold made game show history Monday, becoming the all-time daytime winner on “The Price is Right.”
- Police say a woman from the Bronx bit a police officer's hand as she tried to steal $850 worth of merchandise from a Walmart in Secaucus.
- A viewer named Kelly tells News 12 her 5-year-old son threw a crab line, with no bait and just a sinker, into a lagoon in Lavallette – and hooked a 300-pound sunfish.
- The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame announced its slate of 2020 nominees Tuesday morning.The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame announced its slate of 2020 nominees Tuesday morning.
- Police in Toms River say a woman was killed in a crash while trying to help a fellow driver.Police in Toms River say a woman was killed in a crash while trying to help a fellow driver.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Photos on the field of the New York Yankees in the 2019 American League Division Series vs. the Minnesota Twins.
Looking to check out brewery this summer? There are many breweries across the state for beer-lovers to visit. Check out our list for breweries in your area.
News 12 New Jersey wants to announce your wedding. If you were married in the past 90 days, please submit your photos via Twitter or Instagram using #JustMarriedNJ.
Craving something savory or sweet? It doesn't really matter when it comes to food trucks, where you can have it all -- you just have to know where to find them! Here is a list of food trucks and where you could find them in New Jersey.
- Gunfire broke out inside an illegal gambling club in Brooklyn early Saturday, police said, leaving four people dead, three wounded, and investigators trying to piece together what prompted the bloodshed.