Police search for paintball gunman who shot teen over 20 timesPosted: Updated:
Paterson police are searching for a man who is accused of shooting a 14-year-old boy 20 to 25 times with a paintball gun.
Brian Caballo spent the night in the hospital Monday to recover from the multiple welts and bruises he sustained during the attack. He was released Tuesday morning.
The teen’s mother, Carolina Vazquez, says that the attack has left him physically hurt and deeply anxious.
“He does not want to go back to school. He is scared, he is terrified,” Vazquez says. “He said, ‘What if this person comes and does something worse to me with a real gun?’”
Vazquez says that her son told her that the attacker was the adult brother of one of his friends. The man, believed to be in his 20s, apparently showed up to the family’s home Monday evening and shot the teen with the paintball gun at close range.
Caballo says that he knows who the attacker is and identified him to police.
The family met with investigators Tuesday morning. They say they have no idea what prompted the attack.
Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Gov. Phil Murphy announced Friday that New Jersey will soon operate its own health insurance marketplace instead of being a part of the federal Affordable Care Act.
- Questions from rail commuters in Mercer County continue after they were told it's up to Dunkin' Donuts employees to unlock the doors at the Hamilton train station each morning.
- Special counsel Robert Mueller has concluded his investigation into Russian election interference and possible coordination with associates of President Donald Trump.
- Two Democratic lawmakers from New Jersey are calling on the state’s school districts to stop teaching “Adventures of Huckleberry Finn” in the classroom.
- An image of a Hoboken man falling down a flight of stairs, which was captured by a passing Google Streetview camera, went viral this month.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- It's National Puppy Day! Send us your photos!It's National Puppy Day! Send us your photos!
- The Yankees showed off their dining menu ahead of the new baseball season.The Yankees showed off their dining menu ahead of the new baseball season.
- The 2019 New York City St. Patrick's Day parade was held Saturday, March 16 along Fifth Avenue, from 44th Street to 79th Street.
- Performers at the Great South Bay Music Festival in Patchogue July 18 - July 21.Performers at the Great South Bay Music Festival in Patchogue July 18 - July 21.
- Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.