New Jersey alcohol board issues new rules for local breweriesPosted: Updated:
The New Jersey Alcohol Beverage Control has issued new rules for local beer breweries to follow.
The ABC says that the rules are for businesses with limited brewery liquor licenses. The control says that the primary purpose of those licenses are to manufacture and not operate as a retail outfit.
One of the rules will limit breweries to holding 25 events per year, which must be approved by the state.
Raritan Bay Brewing owner Jeff Benfer says that his brewery will often hold yoga sessions.
“We get about 20 people to come out. They enjoy a good stretch with one of the local yoga studios that come out and puts on the class and then they come downstairs and enjoy some beer,” he says.
Benfer says he is worried about what these new rules will mean.
Another restriction limits the amount of outside events a brewery can take part of, and another limits what type of literature can be inside the brewery.
"We have menus for four different local restaurants. People ordering to get food delivered here and they enjoy some food and I think it's a little crazy to say that no, you can't have even menus for restaurants in our brewery,” Benfer says.
But not all local breweries are against the restrictions. The owners of Belford Brewing Company issued a statement saying that they support the ruling and it will help smaller breweries like theirs by leveling the playing field.
Benfer says that the new restrictions do not only impact breweries.
“We try to incorporate the town and the community into o what we do here and give back and this will hurt us in that regard,” he says. “Not only from a business perspective but from a community perspective."
Benfer says that he plans to talk to his local legislators to see if any of the restrictions can be changed.
- The next SpaceX Dragon capsule that will launch for the International Space Station will be carrying a payload of cannabis.The next SpaceX Dragon capsule that will launch for the International Space Station will be carrying a payload of cannabis.
- “Star Wars” is one of the most successful franchises in the galaxy.“Star Wars” is one of the most successful franchises in the galaxy.
- The UAW says Fiat Chrysler has approved a new four-year contract with the company.The UAW says Fiat Chrysler has approved a new four-year contract with the company.
- Amazon's $500 million stake in Deliveroo may require an 'in depth investigation' by British competition regulators.Amazon's $500 million stake in Deliveroo may require an 'in depth investigation' by British competition regulators.
- The original Star Wars made just $1.6 million in its opening weekend back in 1977. Thirty-eight years later, “The Force Awakens” pulled in $248 million when it opened, setting a record at the time.The original Star Wars made just $1.6 million in its opening weekend back in 1977. Thirty-eight years later, “The Force Awakens” pulled in $248 million when it opened, setting a record at the time.
- New Jersey Attorney General Gurbir Grewal said Thursday that social media postings appear to show the Jersey City shooters held anti-Jewish and anti-law enforcement beliefs.
- Surveillance video out of Jersey City Tuesday shows two shooters, later identified as Francine Graham and David Anderson, coming out of a stolen U-Haul they parked across from JC Kosher Supermarket.
- An Ecuadorian immigrant and store employee at JC Kosher Market was remembered at a vigil for the victim of this week's shooting Thursday night.
- Elected officials and religious leaders came together for a news conference addressing this week's violence and subsequent tension in the Jersey City community.
- An Essex County man who battled drug and alcohol is now helping people through a holistic approach.An Essex County man who battled drug and alcohol is now helping people through a holistic approach.