News

Authorities: Woman mistakes dynamite for candle during power outage

Posted: Updated:
BRIDGEPORT, CT -

Authorities say a woman from Connecticut suffered severe hand injuries when she lit a quarter stick of dynamite she mistook for a candle.

Assistant Bridgeport Fire Chief Michael Caldaroni says the woman was looking to light a candle in her home Thursday around 9:30 p.m. after the power went out during a storm.

The dynamite went off in the woman's hand.

One of her children called 911 and she was taken to the hospital. 

No one else was injured.

Caldaroni says one of the home's windows was blown out.

Firefighters found another explosive device in the home and as a precaution evacuated people in the homes on either side of the woman's residence and called the state police bomb squad to remove it.

The woman's name wasn't released.

AP wire services helped contribute to this report.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."