Wife keeps husband’s ‘act of kindness’ tradition alive after his deathPosted: Updated:
A Bergen County man started a tradition of helping to keep sanitation workers cool during the hot summer months — a tradition his wife is keeping alive after his death.
Charlie Poveramo kept a cooler filled with cold drinks and snacks outside his home on garbage day so that the sanitation workers who came by to collect the trash were able to take a quick break to continue their day.
“It’s like a checkpoint,” says sanitation worker Antoine Zimmerman. “It’s like a second breath of fresh air. The Gatorade, the cakes, it gets us through the rest of the route. So we appreciate it.”
But then Poveramo, a father of two and beloved grandfather, died in March from a heart attack. As the summer approached, his wife Velvet Poveramo said that she needed to keep the tradition alive.
“I couldn’t let it go,” she says. “It was part of who he was. It brought me a lot of joy. It actually helped heal me.”
Velvet Poveramo posted her story to Facebook. And soon her inbox was lighting up with photos of other people putting out “Charlie's Coolers.” She says that people were putting out coolers on the Virgin Islands, in Florida, California, Japan and Italy.
“So it just keeps growing, and it started out with this — a cooler on a lawn,” she says.
“Charlie’s Coolers” have spread to 10 countries and 23 states.
- High demand for the popular sandwich from the chicken restaurant is causing traffic to back up near Route 17 in Rutherford.
- Heads up the next time you want to warm up your car before you get going in the morning – it could land you a $250 fine.
- America's largest milk producer Dean Foods, headquartered in Dallas, Texas, is filing for bankruptcy.
- New Jersey wildlife officials say that they will begin the process of relocating wild turkeys that have become a nuisance in a Toms River neighborhood.
- Veterans in New Jersey can learn a new skill thanks to a program that gets them prepared for careers in technology tuition-free.Veterans in New Jersey can learn a new skill thanks to a program that gets them prepared for careers in technology tuition-free.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- The tree will be decked out in more than 50,000 multicolored lights and crowned with its iconic star.
- Shoppers can start their holiday shopping on Black Friday at these retailers.Shoppers can start their holiday shopping on Black Friday at these retailers.
- If you are looking to start your holiday shopping before the turkey is out of the oven, here are stores that will be opened for Thanksgiving.
- Styx at NYCB at WestburyStyx at NYCB at Westbury
- Stars hit the red carpet for the world premiere of "Frozen 2" at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles.Stars hit the red carpet for the world premiere of "Frozen 2" at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles.