Manhunt underway after gunman ambushes 2 officers sitting in vehiclePosted: Updated:
A manhunt is underway in southern New Jersey after a gunman opened fire on two Camden police detectives sitting in their vehicle at a red light.
Authorities are calling the shooting an ambush. Camden County Police Chief J. Scott Thomson said at least one suspect opened fire on the plainclothes detectives Tuesday night.
Thomson says the gunman fired anywhere between 10 and 25 rounds at the detectives, who were sitting in their unmarked vehicle. One of the detectives was able to return fire, but it was not immediately clear if anyone else was shot.
The detectives were taken to an area hospital with injuries that are not believed to be life-threatening.
The Camden County Prosecutor's Office released photos of persons of interest in the case.
Anyone who may have any information is asked to call Major Crimes Detective Matt McKeown at 609-820-7192 or email firstname.lastname@example.org,
The Associated Press wire services contributed to this report.
- The parents of a 4-month-old boy who suffocated early last year at a motel have been indicted for murder in connection with his death.
- A grand jury has indicted a Newark police officer in a deadly shooting during a police pursuit.A grand jury has indicted a Newark police officer in a deadly shooting during a police pursuit.
- A Monmouth County man is facing charges, accused of dragging two Newark police officers with his car on Saturday..
- A Little Ferry mother admitted to killing her baby, according to investigators in Bergen County.A Little Ferry mother admitted to killing her baby, according to investigators in Bergen County.
Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- New Jersey is expected to see heavy rain, strong winds and lightning this afternoon and evening.New Jersey is expected to see heavy rain, strong winds and lightning this afternoon and evening.
- A tanker truck that overturned on the New Jersey Turnpike, causing a fuel spill and major traffic issues this morning, has been removed.
- "Real Housewives of New Jersey” husband Joe Giudice will stay in the U.S. during his ongoing deportation battle.
- Smoking and vaping will be banned on nearly every public beach in New Jersey this summer under tougher new restrictions.Smoking and vaping will be banned on nearly every public beach in New Jersey this summer under tougher new restrictions.
- The New Jersey General Assembly passed a bill to expand the state's medical marijuana program.The New Jersey General Assembly passed a bill to expand the state's medical marijuana program.