Mother says she was asked to cover up while breast feeding in publicPosted: Updated:
A Sussex County mother says that she felt embarrassed and shamed when she was asked to stop breastfeeding her daughter in public.
Michelle Ayala says that she was at Franklin Pond Tuesday breastfeeding her 2-year-old daughter Daisy when Franklin Pond employees asked her to stop breastfeeding because it was making other patrons uncomfortable.
Ayala says that one of those patrons was Franklin Borough administrator and former Assemblywoman Alison McHose, who apparently said that Ayala was being indecent.
“I stated the law. I said, no, I’m allowed to nurse wherever I’m allowed,” Ayala says. “Daisy is 2 years old. There is no way I’m going to cover her up. She won’t let me.”
The police were eventually called after Ayala refused to cover up and stop breastfeeding. But Franklin Borough police say that Ayala was not in violation of any state or local ordinances, so they left.
“I feel uncomfortable in my own town. I feel the words they used, inappropriate and offensive. I’m not an offensive person,” she says.
News 12 New Jersey attempted to speak with Assemblywoman McHose about the situation. She answered her phone when called, but quickly hung up.
Some Franklin Borough residents told News 12 that they want to keep Franklin Pond a “family” destination. One resident said that Ayala should have gone to her car if she wanted to breastfeed.
- High demand for the popular sandwich from the chicken restaurant is causing traffic to back up near Route 17 in Rutherford.
- Heads up the next time you want to warm up your car before you get going in the morning – it could land you a $250 fine.
- America's largest milk producer Dean Foods, headquartered in Dallas, Texas, is filing for bankruptcy.
- New Jersey wildlife officials say that they will begin the process of relocating wild turkeys that have become a nuisance in a Toms River neighborhood.
- Americans who haven't had time to "read the transcript" as encouraged by President Donald Trump can start tuning in to hear first-hand from witnesses in the House impeachment inquiry.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- The tree will be decked out in more than 50,000 multicolored lights and crowned with its iconic star.
- Shoppers can start their holiday shopping on Black Friday at these retailers.Shoppers can start their holiday shopping on Black Friday at these retailers.
- If you are looking to start your holiday shopping before the turkey is out of the oven, here are stores that will be opened for Thanksgiving.
- Styx at NYCB at WestburyStyx at NYCB at Westbury
- Stars hit the red carpet for the world premiere of "Frozen 2" at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles.Stars hit the red carpet for the world premiere of "Frozen 2" at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles.