Paterson abandoned building becomes sanctuary for teensPosted: Updated:
An abandoned building in Paterson is now a sanctuary for teens in need.
The Buckley Park Community Center sat vacant for almost a year.
Now, it houses the city’s Jump Start program, a non-profit which focuses on gang prevention, character development, and leadership training.
Jamie Bland, Jump Start Executive Direction, says, “We're looking to have young adults understand a life outside of the urban areas. So we take them on various trips, just bringing awareness to them."
Funding for Jump Start comes from donations and grants.
Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Dressbarn, the women's clothing chain that's been around for nearly 60 years, is closing all 650 of its stores.
- Pro-choice and women’s rights advocates held hundreds of rallies across the United States Tuesday to protest the passage of several laws banning abortions.
- The city of West New York swore in a new mayor Tuesday, despite the previous mayor filing a lawsuit demanding a recount.
- New Jersey comedian Artie Lange has been arrested again for a parole violation.New Jersey comedian Artie Lange has been arrested again for a parole violation.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Are you attending the PGA Championship? News 12 wants to see your photos!Are you attending the PGA Championship? News 12 wants to see your photos!
- The Rockland-Bergen Music Festival has announced its 2019 lineup.The Rockland-Bergen Music Festival has announced its 2019 lineup.
- Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.
- The 2019 performer lineup for Madison Square Garden.The 2019 performer lineup for Madison Square Garden.