Man poses as teen online to expose alleged sexual predatorPosted: Updated:
A Cape May County man has been arrested after he was set up by another man posing as a teen online.
Robert Davis says he posed as a 15-year-old boy on a dating app. He says that he was contacted by 56-year-old John DeAngelis, who allegedly propositioned him for sex. Davis confronted DeAngelis at the meeting spot and posted the video on Facebook.
“Why are you meeting young kids on the internet?” Davis is heard asking on the video.
DeAngelis is heard responding, “He said he was 18 years old.”
Davis then revealed that he was the person DeAngelis was chatting with. Davis says that he plans on filming more stings of this nature.
But law enforcement officials and defense attorneys say that it may not be a good idea for citizens to take the law into their own hands.
“When I see a video like that or any citizen vigilante action occurring, the first thought is, what is the quality of justice occurring here? What investigatory techniques and standards are being used? Are a person’s rights being violated? Are we going to catch something that’s happening that would be a crime or are we going to create a crime by instigating something that wouldn’t have happened in the first place,” asks attorney James Maynard.
Davis says that he is not making the videos for publicity, but to expose the dangers of the internet. His video was shared hundreds of times and eventually made its way to police, who then filed charges against DeAngelis.
Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- A group of Dover police officers has been accused of repeatedly punching a man who was restrained during an arrest over the weekend.
- Firefighters continue to keep watch Monday morning after a second smaller explosion happened at the Kearny chlorine plant.
- Dressbarn, the women's clothing chain that's been around for nearly 60 years, is closing all 650 of its stores.
- Film crews were back at it filming scenes for “The Many Saints of Newark” – the feature film that will serve as a prequel to HBO’s hit series “The Sopranos”
- Oprah Winfrey surprised students and teachers Friday at Newark’s West Side High School with a donation for $500,000.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Are you attending the PGA Championship? News 12 wants to see your photos!Are you attending the PGA Championship? News 12 wants to see your photos!
- The Rockland-Bergen Music Festival has announced its 2019 lineup.The Rockland-Bergen Music Festival has announced its 2019 lineup.
- Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.
- The 2019 performer lineup for Madison Square Garden.The 2019 performer lineup for Madison Square Garden.