Army Corps: Black substance washing up on Ortley Beach is peatPosted: Updated:
A mysterious black substance washing on the shores of Ortley Beach was identified as peat, according to the Army Corps of Engineers.
The Corps is in the middle of a 14-mile beach replenishment and dune construction project along the Barnegat Peninsula.
Beachgoers told News 12 New Jersey that a black, brittle substance began washing up on the beach this week and that they were not sure what it was.
The Army Corps says a geotechnical investigation took place and discovered that the dredge has hit a peat layer offshore.
“Peat is a naturally occurring material and is typically a combination of ancient soil and vegetative materials,” a spokesperson for the Corps said in a statement.
The statement said that the Corps will work with the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection to make sure the materials that wash up during the dredging are kept “at the absolute minimum.” The Corps says that the substance “present[s] no danger to the environment or public.”
- A Mount Arlington man is facing sexual assault charges for an alleged incident involving a toddler.A Mount Arlington man is facing sexual assault charges for an alleged incident involving a toddler.
It's a battle for bragging rights! News 12 is looking for the schools with the most school spirit! Is it yours?
- The four-day long NYC Wine and Food Festival has come to a close. It featured more than 80 events throughout the city, 500 chefs, and more than 50,000 attendees.
- Beach season may be over, but that didn't stop student surfers from hitting the waters at Spring Lake Beach Sunday.
- Monday marks the start of New Jersey's black bear hunting season.Monday marks the start of New Jersey's black bear hunting season.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Gunfire broke out inside an illegal gambling club in Brooklyn early Saturday, police said, leaving four people dead, three wounded, and investigators trying to piece together what prompted the bloodshed.
- Photos on the field of the New York Yankees in the 2019 American League Division Series vs. the Minnesota Twins.
News 12 New Jersey wants to announce your wedding. If you were married in the past 90 days, please submit your photos via Twitter or Instagram using #JustMarriedNJ.
Do you like to gamble? Or maybe you're just looking to get away for a weekend or for a night? The tri-state area has a couple casinos that may do the trick. Here is a guide to casinos in the area.
- New York Comic Con is being held at the Javits Center Oct. 3-6, and News 12 is there! Click or tap on the photos to get a look at all of the fun!