Prosecutor: Man driving under the influence strikes, kills 1-year-oldPosted: Updated:
Warning: Video contains graphic images.
Officials have announced an arrest has been made after a 1-year-old boy was killed after he was hit by a car while crossing the street with his mother in Raritan Borough.
The accident happened Saturday just after 7 p.m. in the area of Anderson and Second streets.
According to the investigation, Ronald B. Rebernik, 62, of Raritan Borough, was driving southbound on Anderson Street when he crossed to the northbound side, struck two parked vehicles, left the roadway and continued southbound on the sidewalk, where he then struck the three pedestrians.
The investigation revealed Rebernik then continued southbound on the sidewalk after striking the pedestrians, and reentered the roadway, striking two more parked vehicles on the northbound side of Anderson Street before becoming disabled.
MUGSHOT: Ronald B. Rebernik, age 62, charged with vehicular homicide, DWI in the death of 1-year-old Matias Ortega. @SomersetPros says Matias was in a stroller, on sidewalk with mom and 5-year-old brother when Rebernik's vehicle hit them. @News12NJ pic.twitter.com/BvqDTmeJsk— Alex Zdan (@ActualAlexZ) July 9, 2018
The boy was killed while walking with his mother and 5-year-old brother to the park.
They were going to celebrate his first birthday.
Family members say Matias Ortega was pinned underneath the truck that ran the family down.
News 12 obtained video from a home surveillance camera showing the moment of the crash.
Domitila Rosales was walking with her children, Daniel and Matias Ortega.
The car went over the sidewalk, through the bushes and hit the mother and her children.
According to the family, Domitila pushed Daniel out of the way, but not far enough as he was still struck.
Matias was dragged under the car, and the SUV continued until it struck a parked car.
Rebernik has been charged with second-degree vehicular homicide, and two counts of third-degree assault by auto, among other charges.
He was also issued numerous motor vehicle summonses for DWI, careless driving, and reckless driving.
Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Dressbarn, the women's clothing chain that's been around for nearly 60 years, is closing all 650 of its stores.
- Pro-choice and women’s rights advocates held hundreds of rallies across the United States Tuesday to protest the passage of several laws banning abortions.
- The city of West New York swore in a new mayor Tuesday, despite the previous mayor filing a lawsuit demanding a recount.
- New Jersey comedian Artie Lange has been arrested again for a parole violation.New Jersey comedian Artie Lange has been arrested again for a parole violation.
- Hoboken became the first city in New Jersey to launch an electronic scooter program, just one week after it was made legal in the state – but there is already some controversy surrounding the program.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Are you attending the PGA Championship? News 12 wants to see your photos!Are you attending the PGA Championship? News 12 wants to see your photos!
- The Rockland-Bergen Music Festival has announced its 2019 lineup.The Rockland-Bergen Music Festival has announced its 2019 lineup.
- Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.
- The 2019 performer lineup for Madison Square Garden.The 2019 performer lineup for Madison Square Garden.