Prosecutor: Man driving under the influence strikes, kills 1-year-oldPosted: Updated:
Warning: Video contains graphic images.
Officials have announced an arrest has been made after a 1-year-old boy was killed after he was hit by a car while crossing the street with his mother in Raritan Borough.
The accident happened Saturday just after 7 p.m. in the area of Anderson and Second streets.
According to the investigation, Ronald B. Rebernik, 62, of Raritan Borough, was driving southbound on Anderson Street when he crossed to the northbound side, struck two parked vehicles, left the roadway and continued southbound on the sidewalk, where he then struck the three pedestrians.
The investigation revealed Rebernik then continued southbound on the sidewalk after striking the pedestrians, and reentered the roadway, striking two more parked vehicles on the northbound side of Anderson Street before becoming disabled.
MUGSHOT: Ronald B. Rebernik, age 62, charged with vehicular homicide, DWI in the death of 1-year-old Matias Ortega. @SomersetPros says Matias was in a stroller, on sidewalk with mom and 5-year-old brother when Rebernik's vehicle hit them. @News12NJ pic.twitter.com/BvqDTmeJsk— Alex Zdan (@ActualAlexZ) July 9, 2018
The boy was killed while walking with his mother and 5-year-old brother to the park.
They were going to celebrate his first birthday.
Family members say Matias Ortega was pinned underneath the truck that ran the family down.
News 12 obtained video from a home surveillance camera showing the moment of the crash.
Domitila Rosales was walking with her children, Daniel and Matias Ortega.
The car went over the sidewalk, through the bushes and hit the mother and her children.
According to the family, Domitila pushed Daniel out of the way, but not far enough as he was still struck.
Matias was dragged under the car, and the SUV continued until it struck a parked car.
Rebernik has been charged with second-degree vehicular homicide, and two counts of third-degree assault by auto, among other charges.
He was also issued numerous motor vehicle summonses for DWI, careless driving, and reckless driving.
- A 44-year-old Paterson man is facing charges for allegedly videotaping two women inside of a bathroom at the Clifton Barnes & Noble bookstore.
- A case of the mumps has been reported at Grice Middle School in Hamilton Township, according to a letter sent to parents by the school district.
- A winning Powerball New Jersey lottery ticket worth $50,000 was sold at the ShopRite in Lanoka Harbor.
- It may be a bad flu season for kids, but early signs suggest the flu vaccine is working OK.It may be a bad flu season for kids, but early signs suggest the flu vaccine is working OK.
- Democratic presidential candidate Mike Bloomberg says he's willing to release at least three women from nondisclosure agreements
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Send us photos of all of the pets you love!Send us photos of all of the pets you love!
- Baseball season is right around the corner, and the Mets have reported to their spring training facility. Take a look at some of the sights from Port St. Lucie, Florida.
- The Yankees have a World Series title on their mind in 2020, but it all begins with spring training. Take a look at some of the sights from Tampa, Florida.
- The NASCAR Daytona 500 auto race took place at Daytona International Speedway Feb. 17, in Daytona Beach, Fla.
- Did you just get engaged? News 12 wants to celebrate with you!Did you just get engaged? News 12 wants to celebrate with you!