Prosecutor: Man driving under the influence strikes, kills 1-year-oldPosted: Updated:
Warning: Video contains graphic images.
Officials have announced an arrest has been made after a 1-year-old boy was killed after he was hit by a car while crossing the street with his mother in Raritan Borough.
The accident happened Saturday just after 7 p.m. in the area of Anderson and Second streets.
According to the investigation, Ronald B. Rebernik, 62, of Raritan Borough, was driving southbound on Anderson Street when he crossed to the northbound side, struck two parked vehicles, left the roadway and continued southbound on the sidewalk, where he then struck the three pedestrians.
The investigation revealed Rebernik then continued southbound on the sidewalk after striking the pedestrians, and reentered the roadway, striking two more parked vehicles on the northbound side of Anderson Street before becoming disabled.
MUGSHOT: Ronald B. Rebernik, age 62, charged with vehicular homicide, DWI in the death of 1-year-old Matias Ortega. @SomersetPros says Matias was in a stroller, on sidewalk with mom and 5-year-old brother when Rebernik's vehicle hit them. @News12NJ pic.twitter.com/BvqDTmeJsk— Alex Zdan (@ActualAlexZ) July 9, 2018
The boy was killed while walking with his mother and 5-year-old brother to the park.
They were going to celebrate his first birthday.
Family members say Matias Ortega was pinned underneath the truck that ran the family down.
News 12 obtained video from a home surveillance camera showing the moment of the crash.
Domitila Rosales was walking with her children, Daniel and Matias Ortega.
The car went over the sidewalk, through the bushes and hit the mother and her children.
According to the family, Domitila pushed Daniel out of the way, but not far enough as he was still struck.
Matias was dragged under the car, and the SUV continued until it struck a parked car.
Rebernik has been charged with second-degree vehicular homicide, and two counts of third-degree assault by auto, among other charges.
He was also issued numerous motor vehicle summonses for DWI, careless driving, and reckless driving.
- A Mount Arlington man is facing sexual assault charges for an alleged incident involving a toddler.A Mount Arlington man is facing sexual assault charges for an alleged incident involving a toddler.
It's a battle for bragging rights! News 12 is looking for the schools with the most school spirit! Is it yours?
- The four-day long NYC Wine and Food Festival has come to a close. It featured more than 80 events throughout the city, 500 chefs, and more than 50,000 attendees.
- Beach season may be over, but that didn't stop student surfers from hitting the waters at Spring Lake Beach Sunday.
- Monday marks the start of New Jersey's black bear hunting season.Monday marks the start of New Jersey's black bear hunting season.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Gunfire broke out inside an illegal gambling club in Brooklyn early Saturday, police said, leaving four people dead, three wounded, and investigators trying to piece together what prompted the bloodshed.
- Photos on the field of the New York Yankees in the 2019 American League Division Series vs. the Minnesota Twins.
News 12 New Jersey wants to announce your wedding. If you were married in the past 90 days, please submit your photos via Twitter or Instagram using #JustMarriedNJ.
Do you like to gamble? Or maybe you're just looking to get away for a weekend or for a night? The tri-state area has a couple casinos that may do the trick. Here is a guide to casinos in the area.
- New York Comic Con is being held at the Javits Center Oct. 3-6, and News 12 is there! Click or tap on the photos to get a look at all of the fun!