Coastal Flood STATEMENT in effect for:
Thousands travel to the shore for 4th of July holidayPosted: Updated:
Thousands of New Jersey residents are heading to the Jersey Shore for the Fourth of July holiday.
Traffic on the Garden State Parkway was heavy Friday as many headed down to popular beach destinations such as Asbury Park, Cape May and Atlantic City.
AAA says that gas prices are down slightly since the Memorial Day holiday, prompting many to hit the road to travel.
“It took me 3.5 hours to get from Long Island to New Jersey,” says Larry Begnal.
GUIDE: Fireworks in New Jersey
Temperatures across the state reached 90 degrees for the first day of an anticipated heatwave.
“It’s going to be a beautiful weekend weather-wise, so I’m hoping to enjoy outdoors,” says Jahayra Rincon, of Morristown.
Those who were already at the shore say that conditions felt 20 degrees cooler than they were inland.
“It’s gorgeous. Great breeze, kids were out in the surf…not that crowded,” says Lincroft resident Steve Cavendish. “I guess with the heat more people will come tomorrow and Sunday.
The gates to Sandy Hook open at 5 a.m. Saturday. It is anticipated that lines of cars will form soon after, as people try to get in.
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey says that it is prepared for the influx of travelers for the holiday. More than 2.3 million passengers are expected to pass through the agency’s airports.
NJ Transit is offering early holiday getaway services. Extra outbound service will begin on Tuesday, July 3. Trains will operate on a weekend schedule for the Fourth of July.
- Police in Linden say a passenger of a vehicle was killed after the driver struck a parked tractor-trailer.
- The American Dream mega mall in East Rutherford opens Friday, including the Nickelodeon Universe theme park. Here is a guide for everything you need to know.
- A Paterson family says that a family tragedy was made even worse when a funeral home mixed up the body of their loved one.
- Authorities searching for a missing West Point Cadet have found his body.Authorities searching for a missing West Point Cadet have found his body.
- The city has good news for bus riders in City Island.The city has good news for bus riders in City Island.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Looking for a place to listen to some music or see a local play? Here is a list of concert venues in the Tri-state area.
- Here's the 2019 lineup for the Count Basie Center for the Performing Arts.Here's the 2019 lineup for the Count Basie Center for the Performing Arts.
- Photos on the field of the New York Yankees in the 2019 American League Division Series vs. the Minnesota Twins.
- Heavy right and high winds swept through the tri-state area due to a large coast storm on the night of Oct. 16. Here are your photos from the storm.
- Here's the 2019 concert lineup for The Borgata in Atlantic City.Here's the 2019 concert lineup for The Borgata in Atlantic City.