Police officer admits dealing drugs, assaulting patientPosted: Updated:
A Paterson police officer has admitted to dealing drugs, including some he stole from a crime scene while on duty, and taking part in the unrelated assault of a hospital patient.
Ruben McAusland pleaded guilty Wednesday to possessing drugs with the intent to distribute and depriving the patient of his civil rights.
The Paterson officer faces several decades in prison when he's sentenced Oct. 9.
According to federal prosecutors, McAusland distributed heroin, crack cocaine, powder cocaine and marijuana on multiple occasions to someone who was cooperating with law enforcement.
Authorities say McAusland and another Paterson officer, Roger Then, both attacked a patient in a hospital.
The man had an eye injury that required surgery.
Then is also facing charges in connection with the assaults.
AP wire services helped contribute to this report.
- Authorities have made an arrest in the murder and sexual assault of a woman found dead in her Old Bridge apartment.
- The parents of a 4-month-old boy who suffocated early last year at a motel have been indicted for murder in connection with his death.
- A grand jury has indicted a Newark police officer in a deadly shooting during a police pursuit.A grand jury has indicted a Newark police officer in a deadly shooting during a police pursuit.
- A Monmouth County man is facing charges, accused of dragging two Newark police officers with his car on Saturday..
- A Little Ferry mother admitted to killing her baby, according to investigators in Bergen County.A Little Ferry mother admitted to killing her baby, according to investigators in Bergen County.
Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- New Jersey police say 10 people have been wounded following a shooting at a Trenton bar Saturday.New Jersey police say 10 people have been wounded following a shooting at a Trenton bar Saturday.
- New Jersey health officials are warning residents of Legionnaires' disease and measles cases around the state.
- This week's workout comes from trainer Jamie at Lifestyle Fitness. This medicine ball throw and twist is great for your core and obliques.
- It's National Wine Day! What type of wine do you like?It's National Wine Day! What type of wine do you like?
- British Prime Minister Theresa May is meeting a leader of Conservative lawmakers amid mounting speculation that she is about to announce her departure date.