State police: 2 dead in Turnpike crash involving overturned tractor-trailerPosted: Updated:
State police have confirmed that two people died after a crash in Newark that involved an overturned tractor-trailer.
It happened at around 4:30 p.m. Friday along the Turnpike on the outer roadway southbound right outside Runway 29 at Newark Liberty International Airport.
Police say a box truck and other vehicles collided in the truck lane just south of Interchange 14.
The scene is not far from Thursday afternoon's accident, where a school bus full of children from Brooklyn overturned just before the toll plaza at Interchange 13. Five people on board suffered minor injuries in that incident.
UPDATE: Two fatalities. No additional information forthcoming.— NJSP - State Police (@NJSP) June 8, 2018
Serious crash @NJTurnpike SB MP 104.4 in Newark. Multiple vehicles involved. NJSP responded at 4:35 p.m. Multiple injuries. Lane closures. Expect delays. Plan alt. route. No additional info. #alert
The southbound turnpike outer roadway was shut down and all traffic north of Interchange 14 was being directed to the inner roadway.
Travelers were told to expect major delays in the area.
An active investigation is underway.
Identities of the victims were not immediately released.
Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
New York City police say a 24-year-old man arrested Saturday in the shooting death of the reputed boss of the Gambino crime family remains locked up inside an Ocean County jail, but is expected to be extradited to New York.
Mostly cloudy skies and a chance of flurries in southern portions of New Jersey are expected in the Garden State to begin the work week.
- Authorities say Willowbrook Mall in Wayne was partially evacuated over the weekend after a fire broke out in a clothing store.
- Police in Middletown say a car wash worker was seriously injured when she was struck and pinned between two vehicles during an accident.
- A new study from researchers at Northwestern University found people who ate three or four eggs a week had a higher risk of heart disease and early death compared to those who ate fewer eggs.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- The 2019 New York City St. Patrick's Day parade was held Saturday, March 16 along Fifth Avenue, from 44th Street to 79th Street.
- At least 49 people were killed and more injured in mass shootings at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand.
- Let's see some green! Share your photos of St. Patrick's parades and celebrations with us!Let's see some green! Share your photos of St. Patrick's parades and celebrations with us!
- With spring just days away, Newsday's Jennifer Berger shows News 12's Elizabeth Hashagen some hot toys that will be sure to warm up your spring!
- Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.