Police: Lit candle may have caused deadly fire in Waldwick

Posted: Updated:
WALDWICK -

Authorities in Bergen County say that a lit candle may have been the cause of a deadly fire Tuesday.

The fire at 5 Van Court started just before 7 p.m. while severe thunderstorms were moving through the area, causing power outages. Officials say that the candle may have been lit as a result of those outages.

Police have identified the victim as 83-year-old Valentina Turley.

Fire departments from several fire companies responded to help fight the four-alarm fire.

Turley was found inside the home and was pronounced dead at the scene. No other injuries were reported.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."