Roselle Park police save man from burning car after he fell asleepPosted: Updated:
Roselle Park police officers saved a man from a burning car after it caught on fire with him inside.
Police say that the man fell asleep inside his car, which was parked outside his home. He apparently left his foot on the gas pedal, causing the car to overheat and eventually catch fire.
A neighbor called police around 7:45 a.m. Saturday to report that the car was smoking. When police arrived they weren’t sure if anyone was inside the car. The responding officers checked and saw that the driver was still asleep inside.
“[The officer] saw the silhouette of a head or body in the car, and it appeared to be slumped over the steering wheel,” says Lt. Manuel Jimenez. “It appeared that he was disoriented and not aware.”
Lt. Jimenez says that the driver was so disoriented that he put up a fight when the officers tried to get him out. Video from the one of the officer’s body cameras shows the officers virtually yanking the man out of the car.
Lt. Jimenez says that the man luckily did not suffer any burns or injuries.
“It was perfect timing, and the resident calling head of time, I think that’s an important factor that they called even before they saw the fire,” Jimenez says.
Police say that they are not sure why the man was sleeping inside his car.
- Police have identified the man found dead in Howell Friday morning.Police have identified the man found dead in Howell Friday morning.
It's a battle for bragging rights! News 12 is looking for the schools with the most school spirit! Is it yours?
- The New Jersey Devils beat the Vancouver Canucks 1-0.The New Jersey Devils beat the Vancouver Canucks 1-0.
- The Lawrence Township Police Department is investigating an alleged bias incident that took place last night at the Lawrence High School football game.
- A police officer fatally shot a blade-wielding man who allegedly ignored commands to drop the object in Farmingdale Friday night, according to the Howell police chief.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Heavy right and high winds swept through the tri-state area due to a large coast storm on the night of Oct. 16. Here are your photos from the storm.
- Photos on the field of the New York Yankees in the 2019 American League Division Series vs. the Minnesota Twins.
Looking to check out brewery this summer? There are many breweries across the state for beer-lovers to visit. Check out our list for breweries in your area.
News 12 New Jersey wants to announce your wedding. If you were married in the past 90 days, please submit your photos via Twitter or Instagram using #JustMarriedNJ.
Craving something savory or sweet? It doesn't really matter when it comes to food trucks, where you can have it all -- you just have to know where to find them! Here is a list of food trucks and where you could find them in New Jersey.