Flash Flood WATCH in effect for:
Heat ADVISORY in effect for:
NJ joins lawsuit against Trump administration’s emission standards planPosted: Updated:
New Jersey has joined in on a lawsuit against the Trump administration over plans by the Environmental Protection Agency to scrap gas mileage standards and limits on greenhouse gases cars can emit.
The plan would impact new vehicles manufactured between 2022 and 2025.
EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt says that the current standards are not appropriate and need revision.
Automakers claim the standards have cost the industry billions of dollars, and they say that these standards had a direct impact on the wallets of those buying cars.
The state officials behind the federal lawsuit say that the decision to roll back the standards violates the Clean Air Act.
New Jersey joins 16 other states in the lawsuit, including New York, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Delaware and Washington, D.C.
California Gov. Jerry Brown says that the states will work together to “defend the nation's clean car standards, to boost gas mileage and curb toxic air pollution."
- A doctor from Flint, Michigan spoke to Newark residents Wednesday – a city that has been dealing with dangerously high levels of lead in its drinking water.
- A New Jersey environmental group is calling for the state to investigate a Kearny chlorine plant after several fires in recent months.
- State officials say that it is still unsafe to swim in Lake Hopatcong due to a dangerous algae bloom.
- New Jersey has already experienced several days of poor air quality alerts even though the summer has only just begun.
- A new study suggests that nine New Jersey cities will be almost entirely underwater and uninhabitable by the end of the 21st Century.
Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- The crane, which was being used to build a nine-story apartment building, crashed down onto the apartment building around 8 p.m. on 141 Hamilton St.
- Estarlin Reyes-Martinez, 18, of New Brunswick is charged with first-degree aggravated sexual assault, second-degree sexual assault and third-degree endangering the welfare of a minor.
- Officials say a Pemberton man armed with a blade was shot and killed by a police officer Friday night.
- Officials say a woman's body was recovered from Sandy Hook Bay early Sunday morning.Officials say a woman's body was recovered from Sandy Hook Bay early Sunday morning.
- News 12's Elizabeth Hashagen and Elisa DiStefano sat down with Dr. Dimitria Papadopoulos to discuss what mom needs to know about sunblock!