Hall has goal, 2 assists as Devils rally past Lightning, 5-2Posted: Updated:
By TOM CANAVAN
AP Sports Writer
NEWARK, N.J. (AP) - Taylor Hall had a goal and two assists, setting up Stefan Noesen's game-winner with 7:05 play, and the New Jersey Devils scored four times in the third to claw their way back into their first-round series with Tampa Bay on Monday night, beating the Lightning 5-2 in Game 3.
Rookie Will Butcher had a power-play goal earlier in the third to tie the score 2-all, and Blake Coleman and Ben Lovejoy added empty net goals late. Cory Schneider made 34 saves while starting in place of Keith Kinkaid and giving the Devils a chance in their first playoff series since 2012.
Schneider, who seemed to hurt his groin in a collision with Lightning defenseman Ryan McDonagh midway through the final period, survived a late power play to nail down the win.
Alex Killorn and Steven Stamkos each had a power-play goal and an assist for the Lightning. Nikita Kucherov added two assists, and Andrei Vasilevskiy made 36 saves in the game that had a major scrum with 23 seconds to go.
Game 4 of the best-of-seven series will be Wednesday night at the Prudential Center, which was stuffed with fans wearing red.
Hall was the Devils' MVP during their stunning run from the worst team in the Eastern Conference to the postseason in a year, and he didn't disappoint in their biggest game of the season.
Hall skated down the right boards, avoided a check by Tyler Johnson in center ice and found Noesen in the left circle with a cross-ice pass that the forward one-timed past Vasilevskiy.
Butcher had tied it at 4:03 of the period, just 24 seconds after the Lightning were penalized for having too many men on the ice during a penalty kill.
The Lightning, who scored on 3 of 4 power plays in the first two games, converted on two more in Game 3.
Stamkos gave Tampa Bay a 2-1 lead just 38 seconds into the third with a shot from the left circle that squeezed between Schneider's arm and body and dribbled into the net. It was his first goal of the series.
Tampa Bay, which never trailed in winning the first two games, took the lead again 42 seconds into the second period on Killorn's third power-play goal of the series and fourth overall. Kucherov sent a pass from behind the goal line that Killorn redirected into the net before Schneider could move.
Hall tied the game 1-all with an unassisted goal at 12:24. Vasilevskiy made an excellent stop on a shot from near the blue line by Kyle Palmieri. The puck was misplayed by the Lightning and went to Hall between the circles and he ripped a shot past Vasilevskiy.
Hall could have had more. He hit the crossbar on a first-period breakaway.
NOTES: Center J.T. Miller of the Lightning had to leave the ice late in the second period after sustaining a facial cut. He returned for the third period. ... Devils captain Andy Greene had assists on goals by Noesen and Lovejoy. ... Killorn and Johnson each skated in their 50th career playoff game. ... C Cory Conacher replaced the injured Ryan Callahan (upper body) in the Lightning lineup. ... Devils F Michael Grabner, who was acquired from the Rangers in February, was a healthy scratch after playing in the first two games. Mirco Mueller also sat as New Jersey dressed six defensemen instead of seven used in Game 2.
Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- A group of Dover police officers has been accused of repeatedly punching a man who was restrained during an arrest over the weekend.A group of Dover police officers has been accused of repeatedly punching a man who was restrained during an arrest over the weekend.
- Firefighters continue to keep watch Monday morning after a second smaller explosion happened at the Kearny chlorine plant.Firefighters continue to keep watch Monday morning after a second smaller explosion happened at the Kearny chlorine plant.
- Nike says it is changing its contracts to protect athletes through their pregnancies.Nike says it is changing its contracts to protect athletes through their pregnancies.
- Delays are expected in Paterson Monday afternoon, where HBO will be filming scenes for the prequel to “The Sopranos.”Delays are expected in Paterson Monday afternoon, where HBO will be filming scenes for the prequel to “The Sopranos.”
- La policía busca a un hombre que mostró sus genitales a dos niños en Sunset Park, Brooklyn.La policía busca a un hombre que mostró sus genitales a dos niños en Sunset Park, Brooklyn.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Are you attending the PGA Championship? News 12 wants to see your photos!Are you attending the PGA Championship? News 12 wants to see your photos!
- The Rockland-Bergen Music Festival has announced its 2019 lineup.The Rockland-Bergen Music Festival has announced its 2019 lineup.
- Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.
- The 2019 performer lineup for Madison Square Garden.The 2019 performer lineup for Madison Square Garden.