More than 100 displaced by apartment fire in Roselle

Posted: Updated:
ROSELLE -

An entire floor of an apartment building in Roselle was destroyed in a fast-moving fire Saturday morning.

The Third Avenue building's alarm system sounded around 7 a.m., alerting drowsy residents they needed to evacuate.

Some residents were stranded on their balconies and had to be rescued by firefighters with ladders.

Officials say no one was injured in the blaze, but more than 100 people from 30 apartments were displaced.

The blaze started as a stove fire in a third-floor apartment, which expanded to the apartment's kitchen. Flames got into the walls and up onto the roof, where it spread the length of the building and gutted the floor.

Half a dozen fire companies responded to the scene, fighting the blaze for over two hours in temperatures as low as 15 degrees, causing icy conditions.

The Red Cross is working to find temporary shelter for the residents who were displaced.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."