New York Giants introduce Shurmur as next head coachPosted: Updated:
By TOM CANAVAN
AP Sports Writer
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) -- Minnesota Vikings offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur has been hired as the New York Giants head coach.
The Giants announced the hiring late Monday afternoon, less than 24 hours after Shurmur and the Vikings were beaten by the Philadelphia Eagles in the NFC title game.
The team formally introduced Shurmur on Friday. A winter storm in the Midwest prevented him from coming to New Jersey on Tuesday, and he was at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Alabama, from Tuesday night through Thursday.
The 52-year-old Shurmur replaces Ben McAdoo, who was fired in early December with the team mired with a 2-10 record and owners and fans upset with his handling of the benching of two-time Super Bowl MVP Eli Manning.
Defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo took over for the final four games and posted a 1-3 record.
"He has an outstanding track record in developing young players, and it is clear his players respond to his guidance and direction," co-owners John Mara and Steve Tisch said in a statement.
"We interviewed six talented and qualified candidates, and we feel like Pat, with his vision and experience, is the right person to lead our team."
The Giants won't officially introduce Shurmur until Friday. A winter storm in the Midwest is preventing him from coming to New Jersey on Tuesday and he will be at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Alabama, from Tuesday night through Thursday.
Shurmur returns to the head coaching ranks for the first time since leading the Cleveland Browns in 2011-12. He takes over a troubled team that posted a 3-13 record a year after making the playoffs.
Shurmur was interviewed on Jan. 6 by Mara, new general manager Dave Gettleman and assistant GM Kevin Abrams.
Following that meeting in Minneapolis, Shurmur had an hour-long phone conversation with Tisch.
"I can't wait to start working with Pat," said Gettleman. "I know he will provide the type of leadership we need to take our team back to where it belongs. I have followed Pat's career for many years, and he has had great success wherever he has been.
"What struck me during our conversation is that being the head coach of the New York Giants is not too big for him. He is made for this moment and this opportunity."
The Giants interviewed five other candidates, kicking it off with Spagnuolo three days after the season ended.
New York also spoke with New England coordinators Josh McDaniels and Matt Patricia, Carolina defensive coordinator Steve Wilks and recently fired Broncos running backs coach Eric Studesville, who has since been hired as a running backs coach by the Dolphins. Wilks was hired as the head coach in Arizona on Monday
Shurmur has earned a reputation as a quarterback whisperer. NFC title game opponents Nick Foles of the Eagles and Case Keenum of the Vikings were tutored by him.
With the Giants, Shurmur will get to work with Manning and possibly the No. 2 pick in the draft, if New York uses the pick to pick an heir apparent.
But the Giants also had problems in the locker room. Three defensive backs - Janoris Jenkins, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and Eli Apple were suspended for a game for conduct detrimental to the team.
Vikings wide receiver Adam Thielen said Shurmur constantly put players in position to contribute and he doesn't take anything for granted.
"He's not a stubborn guy. He's going to throw stuff out if it's not working, and he's going to find things that guys are good at," Thielen said Monday as the Vikings cleaned out their lockers.
"So I think as a head coach, he's going to do that on both sides of the ball. Special teams, he's going to find guys who can make plays and let them do what they do. So I think he's going to have a lot of success as a head coach."
Shurmur has been a part of teams that have qualified for the playoffs nine times and won seven division titles. He was Philadelphia's quarterbacks coach when the Eagles played in the Super Bowl against New England in the 2004 season.
Shurmur is finishing his second year with the Vikings. He began last season as the tight ends coach and for the final nine games was also the offensive coordinator, the title he retained this season.
The Vikings finished 10th in the NFL in scoring (23.9 points), 11th in total yardage (356.9), and seventh in rushing yardage (122.3) this season.
Shurmur posted a 9-23 record in his two seasons with the Browns, going there after a two-year stint as the offensive coordinator with the Rams. He spent three seasons as the Eagles offensive coordinator after being fired.
Shurmur's NFL coaching career began with a 10-year run (1999-2008) in Philadelphia. He coached in college at Stanford and Michigan State.
Associated Press Writer Doug Glass and AP Pro Football Writer Dave Campbell in Minneapolis contributed to this report.
Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- A woman driving her car in a parking lot hit the gas pedal instead of the brakes slammed into a 7-Eleven in Roselle – leaving behind a ton of damage.A woman driving her car in a parking lot hit the gas pedal instead of the brakes slammed into a 7-Eleven in Roselle – leaving behind a ton of damage.
- Hundreds of layoffs projected for the Jersey City School System may now be off the table, according to an announcement made by Mayor Steven Fulop.Hundreds of layoffs projected for the Jersey City School System may now be off the table, according to an announcement made by Mayor Steven Fulop.
- A school crossing guard in Cranford is out of the hospital after being struck by a driver while stopping traffic for a student.A school crossing guard in Cranford is out of the hospital after being struck by a driver while stopping traffic for a student.
- Police in Hackettstown say a woman charged with a DWI asked her friend to pick her up from the police station, and turns out, the friend was charged with a DWI as well.Police in Hackettstown say a woman charged with a DWI asked her friend to pick her up from the police station, and turns out, the friend was charged with a DWI as well.
- Three men have been arrested following an armed home invasion in Oakland where a homeowner was held at gunpoint.Three men have been arrested following an armed home invasion in Oakland where a homeowner was held at gunpoint.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Fleet Week New York started May 22. This year marks the 31st annual event that features a week filled of activities, themed events and live demonstrations.Fleet Week New York started May 22. This year marks the 31st annual event that features a week filled of activities, themed events and live demonstrations.
- Are you attending the PGA Championship? News 12 wants to see your photos!Are you attending the PGA Championship? News 12 wants to see your photos!
- Here are the photos of the guests who visited the News 12 studio to showcase the great eats New Jersey trucks have to offer!Here are the photos of the guests who visited the News 12 studio to showcase the great eats New Jersey trucks have to offer!
- The Rockland-Bergen Music Festival has announced its 2019 lineup.The Rockland-Bergen Music Festival has announced its 2019 lineup.
- Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.