Police: 68-year-old woman killed in Kenilworth house fire

Posted: Updated:
KENILWORTH -

A 68-year-old woman died Monday after a fire broke out inside a two-family home in Kenilworth.

Authorities say that Emma Gordon was found dead inside a second-floor bedroom after a fire broke out Monday evening on North Ninth Street.

Firefighters said that they arrived to find the second floor of the home engulfed in flames and full of smoke. It was believed that the fire started in the second-floor living room.

Officials say that the fire was started by a hotplate falling onto a space heater.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."