Parking deck concerns spur evacuations at shopping centerPosted: Updated:
The Woodbridge Crossing shopping center is closed indefinitely, News 12 is told.
Several stores at the shopping center were evacuated Saturday afternoon for safety reasons.
Fire officials say there were concerns surrounding construction and the stability of the parking deck at the site, located along Green Street in Woodbridge.
The deck was cleared of cars, and stores like Burlington Coat Factory, Modells, and Planet Fitness were closed. Shoppers forced out in the cold were wondering if they would be allowed back inside.
In 2012, two cars were crushed when a portion of concrete collapsed at the same parking deck.
News 12 New Jersey has learned that the site is controlled by Onyx Property Management. Police say a structural engineer from the company will be assessing the parking deck to determine the repairs that may be needed.
It is unclear when the shopping center will reopen.
News 12 has reached out to Onyx Property Management for comment but has not yet received a response.
Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Law enforcement officers in Union County say that they have arrested the man responsible for killing a beloved teacher in a hit-and-run crash.
- The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and the University of Wisconsin Population Health Institute have ranked all 21 counties in New Jersey from the healthiest to least healthy.
- The Essex County Prosecutor’s Office is investigating the shooting death of an 18-year-old in Irvington.
- Talk show host Wendy Williams’s announcement that she has been living in a “sober home” for treatment for addiction has brought the struggle to the forefront of addiction recovery.
- A New Jersey sixth-grader received quite the surprise when her older brother returned early from military deployment.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- The Yankees showed off their dining menu ahead of the new baseball season.The Yankees showed off their dining menu ahead of the new baseball season.
- The 2019 New York City St. Patrick's Day parade was held Saturday, March 16 along Fifth Avenue, from 44th Street to 79th Street.
- Performers at the Great South Bay Music Festival in Patchogue July 18 - July 21.Performers at the Great South Bay Music Festival in Patchogue July 18 - July 21.
- Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.
- With spring just days away, Newsday's Jennifer Berger shows News 12's Elizabeth Hashagen some hot toys that will be sure to warm up your spring!