Landlord: Teen killed by CO poisoning in Perth Amboy was visiting family

Posted: Updated:
PERTH AMBOY -

A 13-year-old girl who succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning in Perth Amboy Thursday was visiting family members, according to the building’s landlord.

“I have kids, and you understand people's loss. It's terrible. And you know our thoughts and prayers go out to the family. And everybody in the building,” says landlord Michael Watts.

A clay liner within the chimney of the apartment building located at 185 Fayette St. collapse, blocking the flow of the carbon monoxide exhaust. This caused high levels to build up inside the building.

RELATED: 13-year-old dies from apparent carbon monoxide poisoning

Many of the residents inside the building were treated for carbon monoxide exposure. Three residents are in critical condition, including the 13-year-old girl’s sister.

Watts says that the two girls were visiting from the Dominican Republic.

The landlord says that he tests the smoke and carbon monoxide detectors every month in the building and indicated that the detectors were working in December. But he also says that some residents take the batteries out so they can cook or smoke in their apartments. 

A Perth Amboy spokeswoman only said that the detectors were not working Thursday.

Carbon monoxide is an invisible, odorless and tasteless gas. Dr. Robert Sweeney from Jersey Shore Medical Center tells News 12 New Jersey that early symptoms of poisoning can be just a simple headache, but treatment at the hospital is necessary.

“What carbon monoxide does is it binds with your blood cells and does not allow your blood cells to carry oxygen to your vital organs,” he says. “The way they overcome that is by giving high concentrations of oxygen.”

The residents won't be allowed to return to the building for several days and are staying at hotels. The city is not issuing any violations and calls this a tragic accident.

  • New Jersey SlideshowsSlideshowsMore>>

  • Behind the Scenes of Disney On Ice

    Behind the Scenes of Disney On Ice

    Behind the Scenes: Disney on IceBehind the Scenes: Disney on Ice

    Take a sneak peak behind the scenes of Disney on Ice! The show made a stop at the Nassau Coliseum.

    Take a sneak peak behind the scenes of Disney on Ice! The show made a stop at the Nassau Coliseum.

  • 2018 Country Music Award Association Awards

    2018 Country Music Award Association Awards

    Photos from the 2018 Country Music Award Association Awards on Nov. 14, 2018.

    Photos from the 2018 Country Music Award Association Awards on Nov. 14, 2018.

  • The 'worst toys' for the holidays, according to safety group

    The 'worst toys' for the holidays, according to safety group

    Tuesday, November 13 2018 6:35 PM EST2018-11-13 23:35:07 GMT

    A Black Panther “slash claw” and a plastic Power Rangers sword are among the items topping a consumer safety group’s annual list of worst toys for the holiday season.

    A Black Panther “slash claw” and a plastic Power Rangers sword are among the items topping a consumer safety group’s annual list of worst toys for the holiday season.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."