Plan to build new school in Fairview could displace dozensPosted: Updated:
A plan to build a new school in Bergen County could put dozens of people out of their homes.
The Fairview School District hopes to build a new elementary school on one of the only empty lots in the borough. School officials say the new school would help alleviate overcrowding.
“We’ve experienced a very large enrollment increase. As a result, we really need a new school in order to accommodate the large number of students that have moved into the borough,” says Superintendent Dr. David Sleppin.
The only problem is that the empty lot, located at Walker Street and Eighth Street, is not exactly big enough to build the school. Town officials would need to knock down some homes in order to accommodate the size.
“My understanding is the entire block,” says renter Alex Lopez.
“Of course, first – the board of education and the borough would make an offer,” says Sleppin. “If the offer wasn’t acceptable, then we would, with our board attorney, begin the eminent domain process.”
The homes which would be torn down would be determined by the project architect.
Some residents say that they are wary of the plan.
“I think there’s some people who have probably lived here for 20-plus years. This is probably the home of their life, their dreams, so they’ll probably be upset,” Lopez says.
“Nobody is going to be forced to accept a lower-than-fair market value price for their home,” Sleppin says.
Sleppin says that the homes will be appraised and offers will be made to the owners. The appraisals are expected to start in the beginning of January.
Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Trenton police say nine people were wounded in a shooting at a Trenton bar early Saturday.Trenton police say nine people were wounded in a shooting at a Trenton bar early Saturday.
- New Jersey health officials are warning residents of Legionnaires' disease and measles cases around the state.
- For millennials looking to buy their first home, the hunt feels like a race against the clock.For millennials looking to buy their first home, the hunt feels like a race against the clock.
- Grocery chain Aldi is recalling bags of all-purpose flour due to possible E. coli contamination that has sickened people in multiple states.
- This week's workout comes from trainer Jamie at Lifestyle Fitness. This medicine ball throw and twist is great for your core and obliques.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- The live-action Aladdin film flew into theaters Friday.The live-action Aladdin film flew into theaters Friday.
- Are you attending the PGA Championship? News 12 wants to see your photos!Are you attending the PGA Championship? News 12 wants to see your photos!
- The Rockland-Bergen Music Festival has announced its 2019 lineup.The Rockland-Bergen Music Festival has announced its 2019 lineup.