Bada bing! New Jersey whacks 'Sopranos' strip club

Posted: Updated:

LODI, N.J. (AP) - A New Jersey strip club that served as a favorite hangout for fictional mobsters in HBO's "The Sopranos" has been ordered to shut down as authorities investigate possible real-life crimes.

Scenes at the show's fictional Bada Bing club were shot inside Satin Dolls in Lodi. On Thursday, New Jersey Attorney General Christopher Porrino announced that Satin Dolls and another club owned by the same family must stop live entertainment this month and sell their liquor licenses by Jan. 3.

Investigators from the Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control allege that former owner Anthony Cardinalle continued to run the clubs despite being barred from doing so and that the clubs failed to account for large amounts of cash moving in and out.

Earlier this year, they accused Satin Dolls of criminal solicitation of prostitution and lewd activity involving "audience participation." Those charges are pending.

"Illegal activity was glorified at the 'Bada Bing' in the fictional world of Tony Soprano, but it has no place in modern-day New Jersey," Porrino said in a news release. "It's time to shut it down."

A phone listing for Cardinalle rang unanswered Thursday.

Porrino said the clubs have been under investigation for more than six years as the Cardinalles tried to retain ownership despite an order to transfer the liquor licenses to a third party.

"The Cardinalles may have wanted to keep the business in the family, but that's not how it works," Porrino said. "Their continued flouting of Alcoholic Beverage Control laws cannot and will not be tolerated."

Anthony Cardinalle pleaded guilty in 2013 in a racketeering conspiracy linked to the Genovese crime family. In 1995, he admitted to evading taxes by not reporting cash income from clubs.

Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Long Island Top StoriesMore>>

  • NTSB takes over probe of Lynbrook LIRR platform death

    NTSB takes over probe of Lynbrook LIRR platform death

    Wednesday, April 25 2018 10:04 PM EDT2018-04-26 02:04:25 GMT
    The federal government is taking over the investigation into the death of a man at the Long Island Rail Road station in Lynbrook.The federal government is taking over the investigation into the death of a man at the Long Island Rail Road station in Lynbrook.

    The federal government is taking over the investigation into the death of a man at the Long Island Rail Road station in Lynbrook.

    The federal government is taking over the investigation into the death of a man at the Long Island Rail Road station in Lynbrook.

  • What's in the Water: Eco-friendly water treatment in Suffolk

    What's in the Water: Eco-friendly water treatment in Suffolk

    Thursday, April 26 2018 9:49 AM EDT2018-04-26 13:49:42 GMT
    Suffolk County is promoting an eco-friendly water treatment device that replaces cesspools or septic tanks in an effort to help clean up Long Island's groundwater and save its bays.Suffolk County is promoting an eco-friendly water treatment device that replaces cesspools or septic tanks in an effort to help clean up Long Island's groundwater and save its bays.

    Suffolk County is promoting an eco-friendly water treatment device that replaces cesspools or septic tanks in an effort to help clean up Long Island's groundwater and save its bays.

    Suffolk County is promoting an eco-friendly water treatment device that replaces cesspools or septic tanks in an effort to help clean up Long Island's groundwater and save its bays.

  • Reward offered in Uniondale armed home invasion

    Reward offered in Uniondale armed home invasion

    Thursday, April 26 2018 5:41 AM EDT2018-04-26 09:41:05 GMT
    Detectives say on March 31, three Hispanic men broke into a home on Harrison Street.Detectives say on March 31, three Hispanic men broke into a home on Harrison Street.
    Detectives say on March 31, three Hispanic men broke into a home on Harrison Street.Detectives say on March 31, three Hispanic men broke into a home on Harrison Street.

    Detectives say on March 31, three Hispanic men broke into a home on Harrison Street.
     

    Detectives say on March 31, three Hispanic men broke into a home on Harrison Street.
     

  • SlideshowsSlideshowsMore>>

  • Global Premiere for 'Avengers: Infinity War'

    Global Premiere for 'Avengers: Infinity War'

    The Los Angeles Global Premiere for Marvel Studios? "Avengers: Infinity War" on April 23, 2018 in Hollywood, California.The Los Angeles Global Premiere for Marvel Studios? "Avengers: Infinity War" on April 23, 2018 in Hollywood, California.
    The Los Angeles Global Premiere for Marvel Studios? "Avengers: Infinity War" on April 23, 2018 in Hollywood, California.The Los Angeles Global Premiere for Marvel Studios? "Avengers: Infinity War" on April 23, 2018 in Hollywood, California.

    The Los Angeles Global Premiere for Marvel Studios' "Avengers: Infinity War" was on April 23, 2018 in Hollywood, California.

    The Los Angeles Global Premiere for Marvel Studios' "Avengers: Infinity War" was on April 23, 2018 in Hollywood, California.

  • President Trump hosts 1st state dinner

    President Trump hosts 1st state dinner

    U.S. President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump welcomed French President Emmanuel Macron and French first lady Brigitte Macron for the state dinner during visit to the White House.U.S. President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump welcomed French President Emmanuel Macron and French first lady Brigitte Macron for the state dinner during visit to the White House.

    U.S. President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump welcomed French President Emmanuel Macron and French first lady Brigitte Macron for the state dinner during visit to the White House.

    U.S. President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump welcomed French President Emmanuel Macron and French first lady Brigitte Macron for the state dinner during visit to the White House.

  • Duke and Duchess of Cambridge welcome baby boy

    Duke and Duchess of Cambridge welcome baby boy

    It's the third child for Kate and Prince William, and he's fifth in line to the British throne.

    It's the third child for Kate and Prince William, and he's fifth in line to the British throne.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."