Family in Asbury Park displaced after hoverboard fire

Posted: Updated:
ASBURY PARK -

Federal officials are warning consumers after an Asbury Park family lost their new home due to a hoverboard fire.

The Lyles family had barely been in their house a week when the hoverboard caught fire after being plugged in for only 10 minutes.

The family says they used a fire extinguisher to put out the flames until firefighters arrived, but the fire couldn't be controlled.

"I thought the hoverboard fire was out," said Sherrice Lyles. "But it wasn't and it just kept going."

Lyles say she is grateful her children are OK, but the family is now homeless. They are also in need of beds, furniture and clothing.

For those looking to help the Lyles family, two spots have been set up for clothing drops and supplies at the Hotel Tides and Diane Turton Realtors in Asbury Park.

sorry to interrupt
your first 5 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 5 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."