Health Department: NJ boy who died at camp had meningitis

Posted: Updated:
MILFORD, Pa. -

An 11-year-old Norwood boy who died after falling ill at a camp in Pennsylvania had meningitis, according to the Pennsylvania Health Department.

The department says that Daniel Beer tested positive for a bacterial form of meningitis. The disease can lead to inflammation of the brain and spinal cord and can be fatal.

Beer was staying at Camp Nah-Jee-Wah in Milford, Pennsylvania, when he started to complain of severe stomach pain. He died at the hospital Monday.

Three other boys staying in the cabin also showed signs of stomach illnesses but were released from the hospital.

An email sent to parents by NJY Camps said that the boy had contracted Neisseria meningitidis, a bacteria that can cause meningitis and sepsis.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."