Hackensack residents voice concerns over Teterboro Airport flight paths

File photo File photo
TETERBORO -

Some Hackensack residents are making their noise and safety concerns known regarding flight paths out of Teterboro Airport.

The residents brought their issues to a committee of town officials who try to mitigate the noise from jets landing at the airport. The residents asked the committee why the flight path over their neighborhoods hadn’t been changed, as the FAA proposed over a year ago.

“They fly over the schools. They fly over the hospital. They fly over the high-rises and they’re very low,” says resident Connie Bovino.

Teterboro Airport sees a lot of air traffic, particularly from private jets. Over 39,000 aircrafts came through the airport in just the first three months of 2017. Many of the planes fly right by Hackensack.

“I was at a meeting at one of the condos on one of the higher floors, not even the top floor, and when a plane went by, you actually saw the pilot’s face,” says Deputy Mayor Kathy Canestrino.

The FAA tried a new flight path over Route 17 last year. It was a plan Hackensack residents really wanted, but residents in many other towns did not. The plan was never implemented, and Canestrino says that the FAA didn't run its testing properly and didn't get enough solid data.

Pilots were not required to fly the new flight paths.

“If you really want to do a true test and get real data there has to not be options,” the deputy mayor says.

FAA officials and a representative did not comment on how the test was run at Wednesday’s meeting. They did say that the route they proposed last year was developed over the span of a decade. The committee also admitted that they had absolutely no power to make the FAA change flight paths to deal with noise safety or any other concerns.

Hackensack residents were told that they may get a separate meeting with the FAA to voice their concerns. For now, the planes will keep flying as they have been.

  • Top StoriesNew Jersey Top StoriesMore>>

  • Reward offered in Randolph gun range firearms theft

    Reward offered in Randolph gun range firearms theft

    Friday, January 19 2018 12:45 PM EST2018-01-19 17:45:53 GMT
    Police: Several firearms stolen from Randolph gun rangePolice: Several firearms stolen from Randolph gun range

    A reward is now being offered for information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the thieves who stole firearms from a Randolph gun range.

    A reward is now being offered for information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the thieves who stole firearms from a Randolph gun range.

  • Forecast: Cold start to Friday; warmer temps this weekend

    Forecast: Cold start to Friday; warmer temps this weekend

    News 12 New Jersey - Weather On The 1sNews 12 New Jersey - Weather On The 1s

    Cold temperatures to start Friday, but a warm up is in store this weekend for New Jersey.

    Cold temperatures to start Friday, but a warm up is in store this weekend for New Jersey.

  • Sheriff: No motive uncovered for Las Vegas mass shooting

    Sheriff: No motive uncovered for Las Vegas mass shooting

    Friday, January 19 2018 1:56 PM EST2018-01-19 18:56:30 GMT
    (Ethan Miller/Getty Images) Clark County Sheriff Joe Lombardo speaks during a news conference at the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department headquarters to brief members of the media on a mass shooting in Las Vegas, Nevada, Oct. 4, 2017.(Ethan Miller/Getty Images) Clark County Sheriff Joe Lombardo speaks during a news conference at the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department headquarters to brief members of the media on a mass shooting in Las Vegas, Nevada, Oct. 4, 2017.

    Clark County's sheriff said Friday that investigators believe the gunman acted alone in the Oct. 1 shooting at the Mandalay Bay casino-hotel.

    Clark County's sheriff said Friday that investigators believe the gunman acted alone in the Oct. 1 shooting at the Mandalay Bay casino-hotel.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."