Couple believes Halloween lights torched their home

A Lincoln Park couple believes their Halloween decorations turned their favorite holiday into a horror.

Ray Brunert says a fast-moving fire gutted his house of three years while he and his girlfriend slept. Tina Scarnecchia believes the two strands of holiday lights she had on the porch sparked the blaze. She says she left the lights on overnight.

Fire experts say homeowners should not leave any holiday lights on overnight or when the house is vacant. They also suggest hooking the lights up to a timer so they don?t stay on for a long period of time. Fire experts recommend using flashlights or battery-operated candles to illuminate pumpkins.

Meanwhile, Brunert credits his dog for saving him and his girlfriend. He says the yellow lab barked violently to get the couple out of the house.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."