Plea deal offered to man accused of shooting child
An East Orange man accused of shooting a 3-year-old with a machine gun last year was offered a plea deal of 18 years in prison.
Taron Johnson, 18, waived his appearance in court Friday. During the arraignment, Assistant Essex County Prosecutor Gigi Scoles offered the deal to the public defender representing Johnson.
Johnson is charged with numerous counts, including attempted murder. He is accused of opening fire on a car with a machine gun. The two adults in the car were not harmed, however, 3-year-old Abdul Quadir Hutchins was shot in the head. Gigi says Hutchins had to have a piece of his skull removed to reach bullet fragments.
A 73-year-old woman was also shot in the stomach in the shooting.
Prosecutors believe the driver of the car Hutchins was in was Johnson?s intended target.
Gigi says the plea offer extended to Johnson also includes 85 percent parole ineligibility.
The public defender will now discuss the offer with Johnson.