Jersey City firefighter saves child from burning home
A 2-year-old child remains in critical but stable condition Monday after a Jersey City firefighter saved him from a burning home.
Firefighter Jose Cotty says when he arrived at a two-story home on Orchard Street Saturday, Oliver Sy?s grandfather was yelling that the child was still inside. Cotty and another firefighter, Pat Murphy, went inside the burning house, found the child in a bedroom and rescued him. Cotty had to perform CPR on Sy.
The rescue marked the first for Cotty, who is a former nurse. Sy is battling smoke inhalation and carbon monoxide poisoning at Beth Israel Hospital in Newark.
Meanwhile, the fire director says something left on a stove sparked the fire, which quickly spread to the second floor.