Paterson couple exposed to carbon monoxide

Officials say a Paterson couple was nearly killed by carbon monoxide fumes Thursday morning after their landlord installed a gas generator in their basement.?I am very lucky to be alive,? says Imagine Johnson. ?I made it out just in time.?Johnson says she knew there was a problem when she heard her companion Rowan Williams collapse in the apartment around 3 a.m.Fire officials inspecting the home found carbon monoxide detectors installed without batteries. ?If the batteries were working in the detectors, they would have caught that and been alerted a lot sooner,? says one fire official.Doctors at Hackensack University Hospital told the couple that 10 more minutes of exposure to the poison would have killed them.

sorry to interrupt
your first 5 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 5 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."