Authorities: 16 poisoned by basement barbecue

(AP) - Authorities in Hackensack say 16 people, including seven children, had to go to area hospitals after a basement barbecue filled a duplex with smoke and carbon monoxide.

Firefighters arriving at the residence shortly after 8:30 p.m. Monday found a 55-gallon drum in the basement that was filled with smoldering charcoal briquettes.

Hackensack Deputy Fire Chief Matt Wagner said the building's residents were treated outside before being taken to local hospitals.

Wagner said the carbon monoxide exposure wasn't believed to be life-threatening.

The building did not have working carbon monoxide detectors.

Wagner said a barbecue pit needs proper ventilation, and is best left outside.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."