3 injured as flames ravage Scotch Plains complex

Three maintenance workers are recovering from severe burns after a devastating fire at a Scotch Plains apartment complex Wednesday.

The blaze broke out around 11:20 a.m. at 256 Spruce Mill Road in the Lambersmill Village Garden Apartments and spread quickly. At least four apartments at the complex were destroyed and another three badly damaged.

The identities of the three victims have not been released. All three were airlifted to St. Barnabas Hospital, one with burns on 80 percent of his body.

Witnesses say one of the injured workers escaped by jumping through a window while engulfed in flames. The workers were working with floor varnish when the fire broke out.

No renters were home at the time.

"It appears accidental - that some spark or whatever caused the fire," says Lt. Brian Donnelly, of the Scotch Plains Fire Department.

sorry to interrupt
your first 5 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 5 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."