Carbon monoxide sickens high-rise tenants

? A carbon monoxide leak at a Paterson high-rise building left several people sick and forced evacuations early Friday morning.

The evacuations took place just after midnight at the River View Towers on Presidential Boulevard. EMTs and emergency crews treated several people for carbon monoxide poisoning.

Chief Glenn Brown, of the Paterson Fire Department, says the problem stemmed from an unconnected flue pipe.

?The flue pipe was not connected to the vent outside, therefore the carbon monoxide was leaking into the building.?

The source of the gas was found, and fixed. Everyone is now back inside their homes.

sorry to interrupt
your first 5 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 5 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."