4-alarm fire guts Jackson apartments

A fire ripped through the Regency Club Apartments in Jackson Township Monday, gutting three housing units and damaging several more.

Neighbors alerted other apartment residents to the four-alarm fire and everyone made it out safely. Residents who live on the first floor, which was initially isolated from the flames, had smoke detectors, but they did not go off because there was no smoke in the apartments.

It took about an hour for the fire to be brought under control. Jackson Township?s paid firefighters had Columbus Day off, leaving volunteers to respond. Though officials say the volunteers arrived in 12 minutes, tenant Eric Devine says it felt much longer.

"I don't mean to knock them,? Devine says. ?My wife's whole family is firefighters in New York, but this volunteer system is no good. It's no good."

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."