Wayne nursing home evacuated due to fire

Residents of the Care One at Wayne nursing home are back home after a fire forced a full evacuation Tuesday morning.

The blaze began with a malfunctioning boiler shortly after midnight. The fire was quickly contained, but the evacuation was ordered after small levels of carbon monoxide were detected.

No one was injured in the five-hour evacuation process, which required a convoy of ambulances to transport the residents to other nearby facilities in the Care One network.

There is no word on the cause of the malfunctioning boiler.

sorry to interrupt
your first 5 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 5 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."