Syringe hurts girl playing at beach

A 9-year-old girl was injured by a syringe that washed ashore this weekend on Long Beach Island. The Long Beach Island Health Department says the Pennsylvania girl was playing on the beach with her grandparents and sisters when she came across the needle. The girl apparently took the protective cap off and pricked her finger when trying to put the cap back on. Tim Hilferty, the director of Long Beach Island Health Department, says there is little risk that the girl could contract hepatitis or HIV from the incident. Officials believe the syringe was used at home by a diabetic and came from a storm drain in New York or northern New Jersey.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."