Major gas leak in Westwood forces people to evacuate their homes
A major gas leak in Westwood forced at least 100 people to evacuate their homes Wednesday.
Residents who live in the 120 units at the Roxbury Condominiums were forced to leave their homes after a gas leak happened outside their complex. Some of the surrounding homes were also evacuated. The condo residents were taken to the community center to wait until it was safe to return to their homes.
Authorities believe that a project to resurface the road at the intersection of Center and Fairview avenues may have led to the leak. Westwoods fire chief says the town was lucky the gas drifted upward and not into a building where there could have been an explosion.
The Westwood fire chief says the leak was capped and all of the neighbors were allowed to go back to their homes.