No one injured as blaze damages Rutgers dining hall in New Brunswick

Rutgers officials say no one was injured when a fire broke out in a school dining hall Wednesday evening.

Fire officials say the fire started in the Brower Commons building on College Avenue. It was not clear how many students were in the building when the blaze began, but officials say the building was safely evacuated. Students from neighboring dorm Stonier Hall were also evacuated.

A Rutgers spokeswoman says the fire started upstairs in the Presidents Dining Room, which is used for special events. School officials say the students eat on the first floor. The spokeswoman added that part of the halls roof collapsed, and smoke and water damaged much of the building.

Fire departments from New Brunswick, Edison, Franklin and North Brunswick responded to the blaze. The dining hall will be closed indefinitely with students directed to other locations. Students were allowed to return to Stonier Hall by 9 Wednesday night.

The cause of the blaze has yet to be determined.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."