Sayreville restaurant gutted by fire; police question three men doing roof work
(11/06/04) SAYREVILLE - A fire at the Ocean Blue Grille and Bar on Route 9 in Sayreville got out of hand Saturday and required backup from several nearby fire departments. The building burned for more than four hours before firefighters got the blaze under control, but the restaurant was completely gutted by the fire.
Sayreville police are trying to figure out how the fire got started. They are questioning three men who were doing roof work with a propane tank, but they are not sure if that is the cause of the fire.
A gap in the roof trapped and fueled the fire, and then the roof collapsed. Four firefighters were treated for smoke inhalation after battling the blaze. Because of the intensity of the fire and the roof collapse, the fire department will remain on site through Sunday morning to monitor the building.