Kerik's withdrawal disappoints many in New Jersey

(12/011/04) FRANKLIN LAKES Many residents throughout New Jersey are disappointed Franklin Lakes resident Bernard Kerik has dropped of the running for head of Homeland Security.

Kerik informed President Bush of his decision Friday after realizing a housekeeper who works at his home may be in the U.S. illegally. The former New York City police commissioner says he didnt want the situation to be a distraction for the president. He also says he takes full responsibility for the mistake.

Acting Governor Dick Codey says he hoped Kerik would help New Jersey get additional money for homeland security. State officials learned last week that New Jerseys Homeland Security funding was being drastically cut.

Related stories: Codey calls New Jersey homeland security cuts a "slap in the face" NJ resident Kerik gets hometown support for Homeland Security job

Related link: Kerik's letter to President Bush

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."