Fire at Drew University has officials rethinking dorm room smoking policy

A student smoking in his dorm room is blamed for a small fire on the campus of Drew University. Now, there may be some changes made at the school to make sure such a fire doesn't happen again. Officials say sprinklers inside Tolley Hall quickly doused the fire Monday and no one was injured. But school officials are considering reversing the long-standing policy that allows students to smoke inside dorm rooms. A fire in a Seton Hall University dorm five years ago killed three students and injured dozens of others, leading to legislation requiring sprinklers in all college dorm rooms in the state.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."